Sunday, October 24, 2010

Real Wives of Real TV

GIVE ME A BREAK! Among the popular reality shows are various series’ that supposedly acknowledge the woman sitting at home behind her prominent husband. With that concept in mind networks have come up with, “The Real Housewives of DC, Beverly Hills, and Atlanta; Basketball wives, and Football wives.” I aware that I have not included all the shows but I’m sad to say there’s too many to name.
Now I’m conflicted when it comes to these shows because I like the fact that there were a group of producers willing to shed some light on women living in their men’s shadows but being a major contribution to their marriages and families. However, I can be less impressed by women who are only important because of the fact that they married into money. What values is this setting for young women in America? That you don’t have to be independent or smart as long as you find someone who’s willing to support you? That looks are more important than being smart and keeping your values?
Let’s talk about content of some of these shows. In Basketball Wives most of the women revealed that they have been cheated on in some point of the show. While some chose to work out their relationships, a few others decided to call it quits. A number of different women have developed or created clothing lines, real estate companies, and various other businesses that they established AFTER getting with their husbands.  So is it wrong for me to assume that these women saw a franchising opportunity and ran with it? Why are people tuning in and viewing these shows?  Does it have to do with gaining insight into a different lifestyle, an inspiring goal to get with the right man, or the drama the show promises?
What about the “Real” Housewives of DC and Atlanta? Most of these women are social climbers who have made their way up by marriage. Of course not all, a few were famous or had established a name for themselves before. What makes shows like this interesting is that because of their “statuses” these women are able to get into the most exclusive parties, wear the most expensive designer clothes, and hang out with various notorious people. I know that this makes viewers what to emulate this lifestyle because they see all that’s obtainable without having to work for it.

2 comments:

  1. I am not going to lie. I became kind of addicted to watching Real wives of Atlanta. I do not agree with everything that went on regarding the show, but I do like how the wives were able to show viewers who they really are. I don't keep up with the show too much anymore because of other priorities nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a self confessed reality TV junkie. When given the choice between scripted television and the “non-scripted”, I always chose the latter. I am super busy being mommy, wifey, student, mental health worker, friend, and confidant and all these roles bring with some form of stress and expectations. So I enjoy tuning in for brief moments in time to see someone else going through life.
    Although not acted on, I have had moments where I was so angry (kinda shamefully) that I would have loved to spit on someone like Pumpkin did to NY. However being that I am such a role model to many people, I chose not, and by watching someone else do it and behave in morally corrupt ways, I am able to judge and not be judged.

    ReplyDelete