Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sarah Palin's Alaska

       I've talked about celebrities coming out with reality shows to boost their career/notoriety but TLC has just released a show documenting the life of former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin. The New York Times and the A.V Club have already put out articles shining light on how they feel about the new reality show, but I felt that I should offer mine as well. I think the show is a positive choice for not only Sarah Palin and her family but I think the show will offer a positive outlook for young professional women and the others who watch her show.
      
      In so many cases reality television showcases women as housewives, as promiscuous chicks just looking to have a good time just like the guys, or better yet young women chasing after some man who has already established himself in the world, but does little to shine light on the positive women trying to establish themselves. Sarah Palin is a career woman who has her family standing behind her while she pursues her dreams and I couldn't be more impressed with the way she handles things.

     During the presidential elections the press expressed their negative views on Sarah Palin as a mother with pregnant teen daughter, on the idea that she was a high maintenance diva, and just a whole lot of other negative media coverage she received. The A.V. Club recently wrote an article where Sarah Palin was called "Mama Grizzly" where they said, ".... that she always finds a way to make stuff about her." The article states, "The first problem with Palin’s rhetoric is that it lacks any kind of sincerity Next, there’s the way she exploits her family in order to make herself look like a beleaguered homemaker instead of a career politico."


In politics you can’t win if you try because no matter what you do you cannot please everybody.  I think that Sarah Palin has more to offer than what was presented and I'm glad she has given the world the opportunity to look into her life and get rid of the negative views that were thrown into the media during the elections. So thanks Sarah Palin for changing the face of women in America!

1 comment:

  1. I can agree with what you said about reality shows hardly ever revealing the power and positive independence a woman can possess. I also think that Sarah Palin is strong in her own right after constantly coming under the fire of the media. Be that as it may, I'm that person that lets out a big sigh and rolls my eyes when Palin is mentioned. I would rather see some other strong, independent but yet motherly woman fulfilling her dreams. That is just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete